CA Intermediate or CA Inter is the second level of the Chartered Accountant course. It consists of two groups, group 1 and group 2 each containing four papers. Only after clearing the CA Foundation course can a student become eligible for the CA Intermediate course. The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) is the official statuary body for regulating the profession of CA in India.
Let’s read all about the CA Inter course i.e. the eligibility criteria, registration process, and fees, subjects and syllabus, exam details, and results.
CA Intermediate Course – Overview
CA Intermediate is the second level of examination in the CA course, preceded by CA Foundation and followed by the CA Final. CA Intermediate exams are held twice a year, once in the month of May and once in the month of November.
There are two groups in CA Inter, group 1 and group 2. Each group consists of four papers. Students can give exams for both groups either together or individually. To become eligible to register for the CA Final, students must clear the CA Inter-group 1 and CA Inter-group 2 exams.
CA Intermediate Eligibility Criteria
A student wanting to register for CA Intermediate must meet the following eligibility criteria.
|Students who have passed the foundation exam or the professional education|
|Students who are graduates or post-graduates in commerce and have scored a minimum of 55% marks can also apply|
|Students who are graduates or post-graduates in any other stream and have scored a minimum of 60% marks can also apply|
Routes to CA Intermediate Exam
There are two routes that you can take to CA Intermediate exams.
|CA Foundation Route: you can register for the CA Foundation and pass the examination. Afterward, you can enroll in CA Intermediate program.|
|Direct Entry Route: This route allows you to skip having to sit for the CA Foundation exam and directly enroll in the CA Intermediate course.|
Who can get direct entry?
- Candidates who have completed graduation or post-graduation in the commerce stream and have secured a minimum of 55% marks.
- Candidates who have completed graduation from any stream and have secured a minimum of 60% marks.
- Candidates who have qualified CS Executive level from the Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICAI)
- Candidates who have qualified CMA Intermediate level from the Institute of Cost and Management of India (ICMAI)
To register for the CA Inter, students can visit the official website of ICAI and fill out the application form. They will also be required to pay the registration fee to successfully register.
Here is a step-by-step instruction on how to register.
|Step 1: Visit the official website of ICAI|
|Step 2: Drag your mouse over to “E-SERVICES” and click on “Students Services”|
|Step 3: Scroll down and click on Self Services Portal|
|Step 4: Click on the link for – Self Service Portal for Existing Members and Students|
|Step 5: Login using user id and password|
|Step 6: Click on “Click here to access the student SSP Portal”|
|Step 7: Click on “student cycle”|
|Step 8: Choose the option applicable to you. “Intermediate through Foundation” or “Intermediate through Direct entry”|
|Step 9: Fill in your details, verify and click on “save and next”|
|Step 10: Enter your qualification details|
|Step 11: Upload the requested document|
|Step 12: Click on generate OTP. you will receive an OTP on your registered number. Enter the OTP and captcha code and click on submit|
|Step 13: The last step is to pay the registration fee|
CA Course Fee for Intermediate
|CA Course Fees||Indian Students||International Students|
|Registration fees for a single group||Rs.13000||$600|
|Registration fees for both groups||Rs.18000||$1000|
|Examination fees for a single group||Rs.1500||$325|
|Examination fees for both groups||Rs.2700||$500|
|Journal membership fees||–||–|
|Practical Training Fees||Rs.6500+7000||–|
|Students Activity Fees||Rs.2000||–|
Students who wish to appear in the CA inter exam must fill out the exam/application form within the timeline provided by ICAI. Along with this, an exam fee will also be charged. If a student fails to do so, they will get a week’s extension but after that, they will not be allowed to sit in the examination.
A candidate must carry their admit card to the exam, without it, they won’t be allowed to give the examination. Admit card is not sent to students via email or phone number. It has to be downloaded from ICAI’s website portal. ICAI releases admit cards 14 days before the exam date.
Step to download your Admit Card.
|Step 1: Visit the official website of ICAI|
|Step 2: Click on Self Services Portal and log in with your User ID and password|
|Step 3: Click on the view option for admit card for CA Intermediate|
|Step 4: Your admit card will be displayed on your screen|
|Step 4: cross-check all your details and download!|
CA Intermediate Exams
CA Intermediate exams are held twice a year, once in the month of May and in the month of November. Exams for different groups and papers are held on separate days. Students can either appear for both groups in one term or in separate terms depending on their choice. Only after clearing the exam for both groups, can a student register for the CA Final.
Let’s look at the CA Inter exam pattern for more details.
|Mode of Exam||Offline center-based|
|Type of Questions||Subjective and Objective|
|Duration of Exam||3 hours|
|No of Papers||4 papers|
|No of Groups||2, Group 1 & Group 2|
|Total Marks||100 in each paper|
|Language||Hindi or English|
|Marking Scheme||Total marks in each paper: 100
30% MCQ & 70 % Subjective
No -ve marking
|Passing Criteria||40% in all papers & 50% in aggregate|
If you are a CA aspirant looking for online classes and video lectures, you can visit TopLad’s CA Intermediate Online Classes.
CA Intermediate Syllabus
As mentioned already, the CA Intermediate syllabus consists of two groups containing four papers each. Provided below are the CA intermediate subjects, you can click on them to read about them in more detail.
- Paper 1: Accounting
- Paper 2: Corporate and Other Laws
- Paper 3: Cost and Management Accounting
- Paper 4: Taxation
- Paper 5: Advanced Accounting
- Paper 6: Auditing and Assurance
- Paper 7: Enterprise Information Systems & Strategic Management
- Paper 8: Financial Management & Economics for Finance
CA Inter Results
After giving the Intermediate exam, candidates can check the results once ICAI has announced them on their official website. A candidate must obtain 40% marks in each paper and 50% marks in aggregate to successfully pass this level and move to CA Final. If you fail to meet the passing criteria you may give the exam again in the next term.
CA Intermediate preparation and classes
CA inter is not that easy to clear and it will require a lot of dedication, planning, strategy, and professional coaching to pass. Here are some tips to help you prepare better.
- Before you plan things out, know what works best for you. Depending on your own personality, you should decide how you will be more productive; while studying early morning or late at night? while taking online or offline coaching classes? with a strict schedule or a relaxed one? write down the answers and plan accordingly.
- Give yourself sufficient time for preparation. Don’t start at the last minute. Start early and slowly make quality progress
- Enroll in an affordable coaching institute as they will become a guide to you and provide you with all the necessary information, updates, announcements, study material, etc. on top of teaching you the syllabus thoroughly.
- Keep practicing mock test papers as well as solving previous year’s papers regularly. Sharpen your question-solving skills
- Don’t buy or download too much study material. Focus on getting the right quality material from your institute and practice on that. Quality is always more important than quantity.
- One of the most important and most ignored tips, don’t make studying your life! Go outside, play sports, meditate, meet friends or do anything else that you love. If your mind isn’t happy and in peace, your preparation will be affected.
- Eat healthy food daily and keep physically active
Students can study for CA Inter exams through self-study or coaching classes. It is most preferable to enroll in coaching classes to leave no stone unturned. Coaching institutes will provide you with the right strategies and planning to successfully pass your exams in a single attempt. You can check out TopLad’s CA online/offline coaching classes. We have helped thousands of students achieve their dream of becoming Chartered Accountants.
Check out our website for more information –TopLad