The Institute of Company Secretaries of India aims to promote, regulate and develop the profession of company secretaries in India.
The Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI) is a national professional body in India, under the Ministry of Corporate Affairs, Government of India. This professional body was constituted under an Act of Parliament i.e., The Company Secretaries Act, 1980. Their objective is to promote, regulate and develop the profession of company secretaries in India.
A council consisting of fifteen elected members and five nominees of the central government manages all affairs of ICSI. There are about 200,000 students enrolled in ICSI, over 66,000 official members, of which 10,000 hold certificates of practice.
ICSI grants official certification in the field of company secretary to the students in India. Any student who wants to pursue the course of company secretary (CS) will have to register with ICSI and clear all levels of examination strictly according to the guidelines provided by them.
- Head Office – New Delhi
- No of Chapters – 72 chapters all over India
- International presence – UAE, USA, UK, Australia, and Singapore
- Regional Councils – Chennai, Kolkata, Mumbai, and New Delhi
- Exam conducted – CS exams
- Website https://www.icsi.edu/home/
- Headquarter Address: ICSI HOUSE, 22 Institutional Area, Lodi Road, New Delhi – 110003
- Contact for students: 0120-4522000
- Query and support: http://support.icsi.edu
Regional Councils of ICSI
The Institute of Company Secretaries of India operates through four other regional councils in four different parts of the country; Chennai, Kolkata, Mumbai, and New Delhi. Each council is to cater to the needs of people residing in these areas.
These Regional Councils are:
- Northern India Regional Council (NIRC) – New Delhi
- Eastern India Regional Council (EIRC) – Kolkata
- Western India Regional Council (WIRC) – Mumbai
- Southern India Regional Council (SIRC). – Chennai
Northern India Regional Council consists of 32 chapters in states like Agra, Ajmer, Alwar, Amritsar, Chandigarh, Dehradun, Faridabad, etc. Eastern India Regional Council consists of 8 chapters in cities; Bhubaneshwar, Patna, Ranchi, Siliguri etc.
Western India Regional council has 17 chapters in western cities namely Ahmedabad, Aurangabad, Bhopal, Indore, Goa, Mumbai etc. The southern council consists of 15 chapters in cities; Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Kochi, Mysuru, Salem etc.
For more information about all four regional councils and their 72 chapters, you can visit https://www.icsi.edu/profile/organisation-structure/
Functions of ICSI
The Institute of Company Secretaries of India performs several important functions:
- Developing highly qualified company secretaries of high caliber to ensure corporate governance
- Providing oral/postal coaching and training to CS students
- Conducting CSEET examination in the months of January, May, July, and November
- Conducting CS executive and professional examinations twice a year. Once in the month of June and Once in the month of December
- Arranging and providing assistance for practical training to students for the company secretary course. Bringing company secretary firms empaneled with the institute to offer training to students.
- Issuing certificate of practice and enrolling qualified persons as associate/fellow members of the institute
- Conducting post membership qualification courses
- Publishing monthly journal “Chartered Secretary” for it’s widespread audience
- Supervises the official members of the entire institute, in practice and employment matters, making sure they follow professional ethics and code of conduct
ICSI – Vision
The Institute of Company Secretaries holds the vision to be a global leader in promoting good corporate governance.
ICSI – Mission
Its mission is to develop highly qualified company secretaries of high caliber to ensure corporate governance.
Company Secretary course offered by ICSI
ICSI is the professional body for promoting, developing, and regulating the company secretaries of India. Any student who wants to pursue this certification will have to register and clear three levels of examination held by the institute.
- Company Secretary Executive Entrance Test (CSEET)
- Company Secretary Executive Program (CS Executive)
- Company Secretary Professional Program (CS Professional)
Along with this, students have to undergo professional training for the company secretary course in adherence to the guidelines provided by the institute
Check out TopLad’s Online CS courses for CSEET, CS Executive and CS Professional!
Other Courses Offered by ICSI
Other than the company secretary course, ICSI offers several other courses to the students.
- Certification courses: CSR Professional certification, Banking Compliance Professional, a certificate in goods and services tax
- M. Com (2 years)
- B. Com (3 years)
Associate and Fellow Membership
After a candidate has successfully cleared all levels of examinations, i.e., entrance test, executive program, and professional program, provided by the Institute of company secretaries of India, they can apply for associate membership with the institute.
After being an associate member for five years, fellow membership with the institute can be acquired.